Nomadic No More

Sunday, June 24, 2007

I'm running....

not fast but I ran my first half marathon today! Needless to say I was a little bit concerned because none of my training runs have taken me further than 11km. A half marathon is 21km, do you see why I was worried??? My friend Yvonne and I got dropped off at UBC and chatted while waiting in the loooooooooong line up at the port-o-potties. She is a mountain goat and I wished her a good race when we crossed the start line. Zoom she was gone-gone.
It went really smoothly! (Can you tell that I was/am surprised?) At each km marking I was feeling really good and I just kept running and didn't stop EXCEPT during km 16 - I noticed that my shoe lace was undone so I bent down to tie it....easier said than done. Tying a shoe lace with perogy sausage like fingers that were numb because of the cold thunderstorms wasn't easy, neither was bending over after running for 16km. Whatever, I eventually did it and starting running again.

I was so happy to see Chris out at km 9 - cheering me on in the pouring rain, a little later at km 11 my friends Mia & Alison were hudled under a protective bush with gore-tex and umbrellas gallore - telling me that I was looking strong. I think that I yelled back that I felt really good (again using the intonation of surprise)! Tanya, Duncan & little Emily were cheering for me just after 19km and our friends Norma & Greg saw me a little while after that - Greg ran with me for a few seconds keeping me "dry" with his umbrella (very funny Greg!) I crossed the finish line at 2 hours 32minutes and I couldn't be happier just to have finished! The gaggle of us met up for breakfast after the event and the sun came out not 10 minutes after I finished, I think that my running pants were about 5 inches longer than when I started, my toes were soggy having been in wet running shoes for that long......but what a fantastic day!

Before the event started aka "dry"

before km 9 aka "wet"Nearing the finish line aka uber soakedYAY the finish lineMy first finishing medal!

10 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Vanessa, you are amazing! Congratulations on your first half marathon! (I assume there will be more, considering how well this one went?)... What an athlete you are! And my goodness, can I call you 'the incredible shrinking woman'?!?!?! Your figure looks fabulous!

2:26 a.m.  
Blogger Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi Vanessa,
(I saw your name on Rebecca's)
Good thing that you run the marathon, congratulations.

JoAnn

4:49 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my dear v! i told you that you would be pleasantly surprised and i am so happy for you. i'm also happy that my the port-o-potty curse didn't adversely impact the event. you are an inspiration beyond belief. i am in awe of how you tackle everything you do with a smile. congratulations on losing your 1/2 virginity! next step it to lose the other 1/2. hmmm Portland is in October. you can lose your marathon virginity and chris can reconnoiter the breweries. Y

7:57 p.m.  
Blogger Jo said...

Oh my stars, you are inspiring lady!
Congrats on the finish!
David said you were looking great and it's obvious you're feeling just as good... I'm jealous!
x's and o's
Mrs. B

11:39 p.m.  
Blogger Erica said...

Oh my goodness! I am UBER INSPIRED!!!
That is so freaking amazing I can't believe it.

This is the girl with the bad knees running 21 kms???
Wow! You're seriously inspiring me to get off my fanny and DO something!

Way to go Ness! I'm really proud of you!

7:26 a.m.  
Blogger Mama Bear said...

Vanessa....Wow!!! A huge congragulations from us to you!! You look amazing!!

6:05 a.m.  
Blogger Scott & Penny said...

I'm pretty impressed Ness...but seriously, where's the adrenaline? I had a bit of a marathon myself last night, went to visit my cousin at 3pm in the pub, and finished "visiting" around 2am. I wonder who's hurting more...me or you? At this point in time I'd venture that you're definetely fitte! Good stuff chicky.

2:56 a.m.  
Blogger Okanagangirl said...

Way to go Nessa! Grandma always said you could run like the wind! Smart lady and smart you for being so incredibly active. Where the heck did that gene come from?
Run Nessa Run!
Congratulations and godspeed!
love,
mom & dad
xoxoxox

7:21 p.m.  
Blogger Erica said...

I hope you got my Happy Birthday phone message!
XOXO

9:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nessly,

Wow, we are so impressed...You look awesome, and by the look on your face at the finish line you were exhilirated. Good for you - we are inspired...back to the couch...

10:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home