Goat Mountain
Who slept in on Saturday morning?? No, not us - we had more important plans being that we are totaly ignoring our hiking boots this season for our "other" passion (mountain biking). Chris and I wanted to do a challenging hike close to Vancouver and our friend Alison is always up for last minute adventures. Saturday morning found us lacing up our boots and doning our back packs at the base of the Grouse Grind in North Vancouer. Yes, I have blogged about this hike before as I used it as a work out on it's own (it's a vertical climb for a few km and is guaranteed to make you work hard - no matter how slow you go!) Today however, we had other plans:
Step 1: do the Grind
Step 2: carry on for 16 km to Crown Mountain
What actually ended up happening was a modified Step 2: we (at my request, alright I admit it) hiked 11 km to Goat Mountain and got a great view of Crown Mountain
Here's a few photos from our day out:
This is Alison waiting for me........come on Vanessa, hurry up already!
That's the mountain that we were supposed to have climbed (the left peak)
These ravens were crazy - as soon as we started unwrapping our lunch they swarmed us and wanted some action...
That beak doesn't look so big in the photo but let me tell you -- I was concerned!
Their feet were like flippers - just massive....
As you can see, Chris was VERY worried about the birds attacking...ahem.
We decided to wake him up before we headed back down (I think that he had the car keys...)
Crown Mountain (left) & the Camel (right)
We returned to the top of Grouse Mountain and rode the gondola down (hiking down the grind would absolutely KILL the knees and it's so busy you would have to give way every 0.07 seconds to allow the die hards to come up). I'm very happy to pay $5 to ride down with all of the clean, fresh smelling tourists that visit the mountain for the day. I went home for the following in the order of sequence:
Crown Mountain (left) & the Camel (right)
We returned to the top of Grouse Mountain and rode the gondola down (hiking down the grind would absolutely KILL the knees and it's so busy you would have to give way every 0.07 seconds to allow the die hards to come up). I'm very happy to pay $5 to ride down with all of the clean, fresh smelling tourists that visit the mountain for the day. I went home for the following in the order of sequence:
- bath
- nap (I love my naps!!)
- dinner
- dvd (watched the Last King of Scotland)
- bed (again)
Ahhh what a great day!

4 Comments:
What a great day indeed. And all of this is in your backyard. You can bag a peak or 2 and still have time for an americano while the day is young.
I wanna play too...my summer is wasting away and I'm covered in plaster...booo. Can we come over to play? I barely recognised you in that first pic...you're looking great!!
NAP! I love Naps. They are the best after a killer workout. Looks like y'all had fun - looking forward to the bike/Grind. If you want a really good nap, we could make it bike/Grind/hike/bike. Wow, I'm tired just thinking about it. Hike on lady (and potato lover), Y
Once again I am amazed at your motivation and stamina! Sounds like an awesome hike... but did you see any goats?!?!?!
Post a Comment
<< Home