Nomadic No More

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

1,003 km to Moab, Utah - September 2007

Chris & I took the last week of September to go mountain biking in Moab, Utah. The first day we left pre-dawn and made our way over the border, through Washington, across the corner of Orgeon, and deep into Idaho. Drivers in Washington & Oregon are extremely courteous and obey the speed limit. Once you cross over into Idaho the speed limit is 75mph (!!) and anything goes - we did our research, I tell ya.





After 13 hours of driving we needed to rejuvinate ourselves with some Greenday at top volume. Here's Chris rockin' out....



Very moody skies in Idaho - those potato fields need rain.
Day two, was a shorter day as we crossed into Utah and were welcomed by the red rock formations.
More red rock in the distance...almost there! Choo-choo.

Finally in Moab!


Day one in Moab, we were so ready to get out of the car and onto our bikes. We left our city car near the highway and biked the access road to Klondike Bluffs trail head.



I was so cold at the start of this ride - I couldn't believe that I was in Utah (isn't it supposed to be hot?)

Going up, up, up to Klondike Bluffs.



These are the bluffs - you have to leave your bike and hike in the last few kms to get this view - well worth it!

Do you think that we're missing any colors from the spectrum?? No, no I think that we've got them all!Chris bombing down klondike bluffs...can you see the white marks on the rock? That's what you follow to get up and down the trails to keep all of the crypto mosses and such healthy for years to come.
We spent the very hot afternoon at Arches National Park - lots of rock and as you guessed a fair few arches too.

This is called Balanced Rock...won't be around forever as erosion is always changing this landscape. When that puppy falls it's going to be like Indian Jones all over again.
I have this affection for dead trees and desert landscapes.


Arches - two of them!
Me at Double Arch
Chris' outline inside double arch
the view from double arch
I cannot remember this one.....I'm sure that you can come up with something (did I say that?)

Chris and I spent the day at Canyondlands National Park about an hour outside of Moab.

another arch
canyon view - there's a road that goes around the rim called "White Rim Road"
A perfect spot for a bit of yoga, non?


Enjoying the view
How is this growing?
That's as close to the edge as I wanted to get...
These are "Buttes" as wide as they are high





A little friend that Chris got chatting to ....

Morning wildlife spotting....this was actually AFTER we watched the coyote eating peeled on roadkill off of the highway - that wasy a spectuacular sight!


Our happy car - bikes on the roof and ready to go!
Dead tree & cactus (bonus!)
Canyon.....
cactus a close up
This is a dome inside a crater from a meteorite



Long Arch - great view on the other side
more buttes
Chris chillin' out on the canyon edge - you know as you do...



Slickrock Trail - Moab, this is the epic trail in Moab. The rock is crazy steep in sections and bike tires just stick to the rock.....if you have the leg power your bike will hold. I had to walk alot but loved everything except the sunburn (I was wearing 40 SPF!?)
Here's a crazy sequence of Chris bombing down this crazy steep.....scroll fast for actual speed.












Arty shot of Chris' bike while waiting for me - I'm sucking wind in the background....er I mean taking in the sights.

La Sal mountains in the background


Cactus berries Green River

Happy helmet heads


Arty shot with rare puddle and La Sal mountains in the background
Yes, that's my bottom speeding away down slickrock
I saw a coyote first thing in the morning....slickrock wildlife.
A view of Moab from Slickrock trail

Moab

Here are some photos form the Sovergn Trail - Moab's only single track








Hmmm, funny how there is no underwater scenery in Moab?! This must be just after Chris dropped the camera (lense open) in the sand, ahem.








This video is from the slickrock trail (sideways) and gives you an idea about the terrain and speed.



Some photos from our drive back to Vancouver.....





Sunset in Oregon....I think.

Remember that Chris dropped the camera in sand???


Hot air balloon party in Washington - yay!

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott & Penny said...

What an awesome trip! I've defo got to go to Moab! You got some awesome photies, def pool room photos (keepers). Perfect timing Ness, I'm off the bike from my surgery and you post up photo's of one of the worlds best cycling destinations....rough, very rough. Looking forward to your next adventure already!!

6:58 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a trip that looks like.....amazing

6:01 a.m.  
Blogger Mama Bear said...

Wow! What great photos! It is so beautiful there:)

9:37 p.m.  
Blogger Erica said...

Such beautiful scenery. It looks like you two had lots of fun.
Oh by the way, did Chris drop the camera in the sand?
:)

9:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home