The Grouse Grind



For those of you who live elsewhere in the world, let me introduce you to The Grouse Grind. This trail heads straight up the side of Grouse Mountain. Given the outdoor, healthy lifestyle that Vancouverites are known for - this trail has turned into "Mother Natures' Stair Master". I've heard rumours that they also have "singles" night on the Grind....it's a bit out of control being that it's so close to the city. It's renowned for being extremely busy, buslting and unfriendly with people pushing by others to get ahead and go, go, go....
I wanted nothing to do with the Grind as I prefer to get out of the city, leave the crowds behind and bond with nature. Well, now that I'm older and wiser (I like to think that I am) I've actually experienced the Grind for myself - ta da! Some lovely ladies from my work asked if I was interested in committing to a weekly jaunt up the Grind. I was all over that idea, as I'd recently started training for a 10km run and I was desperate to increase my cardio. I would be lying if I told you that I wasn't anxious when week one finally rolled around....what quel suprise when I actually ENJOYED myself and the scenery!? Sure there were quite a few people on the trail but I'm slow so they pass me (for the record, no one tripped me) and pass me they did - I had an 80 year old man pass me (enough said!) The fact is that EVERYONE was breathing hard and sweating like monkeys - so I fit in just fine.
To give myself a goal, I timed myself (as most do, when going up the Grind) and came up at 1hour and 35minutes. Needless to say my work friends and Chris had been waiting at the top for 20 minutes. Week two, I was very proud of myself as I shaved off 5 minutes and came up at 1 hour and 30 minutes. Although, everyone else also did well and did it under 1 hour - it seems like I'll never catch up to them but I'll keep trying!
The photos above are:
- The Grind trail - notice the incline?
- Yvonne, Me and Mia - Pre-Grind
- Yvonne, Mia & Me - Post-Grind

3 Comments:
Don't worry, if I come out west, I'll do it with you and YOU can wait for ME at the top!
We love reading your blog!
Keep up the good work on The Grind Vanessa...
and Happy Anniversary to you both!
Love the blog!
I am too old to be learning about these new fangdangled things...."leaving comments here easier than email" she says. "Ha" says the old lady in Victoria....NOW I have a darn blog or should I say brag to post pics and comments about my offspring;)
Happy Anniversary you two!
Post a Comment
<< Home